Monday 23 January 2017

Taking a Rest Day

Today's entry from my training plan. the description says it all!
(I use Training Peaks, premium, by the way)


No trainer time.
That's what my plan for today says.
Back to the same point I make again and again.
Correct Training + Correct Rest = Fitness Improvement.

Do you think Team Sky train hard 7 days a week?
Do you think Olympic athletes train hard 7 days a week?
(If you don't know the answer to this rhetorical question I suggest you research the matter!)

Am I just demotivated?
A "quitter"?

Far from it.
I'm itching to train today.
I am having to hold myself back.
And that is what folks without coaches need to do - hold themselves back sometimes.
A coach would tell you to have a day off.
But I gotta tell myself.
Even though I am on a "good roll".
Things are going well.
I pushed myself close to the limit without going over 4 times last week.
Two more days of shorter, slightly faster, sessions.
I trained well.

And that is why I am having a rest day.
Indeed, that is why it is on my calendar.
It was going to be yesterday, but I have a big day tomorrow (real life, and all that!), so it made sense to train yesterday, and take the break for today, then I will be fresh for tomorrow.

So, by all means, have a bit of flexibility in Rest Days.
I do.
Just don't miss them out entirely!

1 comment:

  1. I try to do 4 or 5 days on and 2 days off. Is that about right?

    We are only talking 2 - 3 hours max per session tho.

    ReplyDelete