Wednesday 25 January 2017

File Correction in Training Peaks - 11 hour epic ride ... or not!

For most of this ride, nothing happens. After the riding at the start, I am in the hospital, but the data logger, attached to the bike, is still recording ...
Wow.
Look at that workout.
11 hours!
465 Training Stress Score!
Best ride ever, surely.

Except it isn't.
What really happened is that I crashed.
Knocked out for about 20 minutes.
Look at the picture above for the point where the yellow and green line drop.
The red line continues for a bit (that's me laying on the ground!).
Then the red line drops.
Clearly I didn't die (else I wouldn't be writing this).
What happened was that my Garmin 310xt was attached to my bike, and as the ambulance drove away, my heart rate monitor (on a chest strap) went out of range.
Of course, the watch just kept recording until the battery went flat.
The elevation variation is just GPS variation, as is the green speed line.

Training Peaks has, of course, fully credited me with the entire ride. Some sort of assumption has been made by either Training Peaks or Garmin Connect that my last heart rate was valid (95 bpm) and that has been used for the next 10 hours!
This has resulted in me getting the huge training figure of 465 TSS for a ride of under 20km!

So, I thought, my training data mirrors to Strava. And that has a nice crop function, so I will just do that, then re-import the cropped file into Training Peaks. Sorted!
The duration is about right, but where is the HR data?

The HR data has not been trasferred from Strava, so no TSS have been awarded.
So how much training was it worth then?
Maybe Training Peaks has a way to do it?
Yep.
I found this on Training Peaks' support section

just go to the graph on the original "wrong file", highlight the "wrong" bit, and select "cut".

So how did it turn out?
That's more like it!
I should probably clip tighter, but this way the cadence and the hr data are properly recorded.
So there is a TSS number!
85.5 TSS is perhaps overly generous.
Truth is more like 75, methinks.
I'll edit it a bit tighter in due course.
But 85 is a LOT closer than 465!!
So there we have it.
Editing the "loose bits" off the end of Training Peaks files while still retaining ALL the relevant data!



No comments:

Post a Comment